Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Pittsburgh

Okay, I know...I just got back from Columbus...but I wanted to share with you just a lingering thought or two about Pittsburgh.

First of all I was so glad to have my buddy Nik with me...we seemed to learn a great deal from each other that weekend. One of the things he taught me is that not everyone we talk to at these shows might realize that we are the creators of the books they see before them. I don't think they realize that quality top of the line books can be made by individuals.

We are the independents. Seriously, we both work with talented people to comeup with the ideas and execution of our books and we consider every aspect of what that work looks like and feels like. The "industry" or maybe we should call it the "outustry" is FULL of hand made, Xerox copied mini-comic (and as we learned from S.P.A.C.E. this weekend in Columbus...these are full of intensly original well thought out creative stories.)

One of the best examples of this was a discovery that I and a lot of other people discovered last year...the work of Rober "Hollywood" Swinton. His comic BLOW was a diamond in the rough. Now I love Sharpies, but this dude rocked it out on the chisel tip my brothers and sisters...but it needed something more. I'm glad I was able to help excavate this story and polish it. I try with every stoke to retain a sense of that original gusto that Hollywood first layed down the story of Big Fro Brown.

Here are the pencils done by Paul Schultz, another brother in love with not only the future evolution of independents comics but finding great stories to tell through illustration.


Yeah, that was a tangent, now back to Pittsburgh...
Got to spend time quick sketching with my idol Amanda Connor, my contemporary Chris Moreno and my buddy Stuart Sayger.

Then it was off to the Warhol Museum and a room filled with mylar pillows
...I strongly suggest that if you find yourself in Pittsburgh you visit this museum. You will be transported somewhat to the factory days.


I could not leave without signing the guestbook
...could you?!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jaimie 13 said...

The Warhol muesum looks way to much fun!!!!

4:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home