Monday, January 30, 2006

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO CALL THIS (PART II)

When it all starts to take shape, there is little that can pull you away from the piece!

Once I begin layering on the colour, the piece begins to take on a life of it's own. My only hope at this point is that I don't let my creativity get too far off track. Many things begin to run through your thoughts. Some of which have absolutely nothing to do with the piece. Some say that this is when you are in "the zone."


I say it is the point when the markers go to my head. I realize after finishing this piece in about 6 hours (in an open space) that I still need to invest in a small, personal size, table fan. The headache I developed on this one is not something I wish to repeat.


The "melting pot" idea came to me on the way to the event. I didn't know what kind of pot, but on the page I decided that a two handled stockpot would do the trick. The boiling over came out quit nice and I just let my hand do what it needed to do. Not much control. Just let my creativity bubble over, as it were. Sometimes (most times) art needs that freedom. I think the skill really kicks in when you can take those rough sketches and let the image emerge. You really don't have to force it, just let the ink sit on top of the pencils, finding it's own position of comfort. Look at people as they lay on a sofa or sit with a leg over the arm of a chair. It may not be the way the furniture was intended to be used, but as long as it looks comfortable and not forced, then, well...as Dorian Clevenger once told me, "If it looks right, it is right."


Seriously, skill and influence really come into play here. You think of your heros, those who inspire you. The "bubble, bubble, toil and trouble" of it all came from influences of Big Daddy Roth and Stephen Blickenstaff. The colour choice here was directly impacted by my fascination with psychedelic art. Griffin, Mouse, Arminski, Thomas! All influences that unwittingly find their way into my work.

Then there comes a time when, in my opinion, the magic happens. That one addition that makes it's way to the page at the very end. The final brush stroke if you will, it may have been germinating since the piece began, but when you step aside and actually see it there before your very eyes (before you have even committed it to the page). And you "know" it's right. The final steps are like that of a child. Not broken and uncertain, but gleefully reckless!!! Like a child, like a child. The flag was there, so I let it fly.

This piece will be on display through July at the Garfield Park Arts Center in Indianapolis Indiana. There are some terrific works by other artists there as well. If you have an opportunity to do so, please stop by. As for "Melting Pot", some are amazed that it is all done in marker. Some think I'm crazy for not just colouring these pieces on the computer. But, that's not art. It's not! You are! Use you whenever possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home