Saturday, June 10, 2006

Three Minutes with CHRIS MORENO

CHRIS MORENO is one of the hottest and most talented illustrators currently working in comics. He still has a heap of indie cred. I suggest that if you see this extremely talented artist at a convention you buy as many of his originals as you can. I know I've been saving my pennies ever since I saw his drawing of The Invisible Man!

B. Wilkison: Chris, I have found a common thread among artists in many disciplines that Dr. Seuss had a big influence on them growing up and that influence continues today. What influence has Dr. Seuss had on your life, work or art?

Chris Moreno: I think most importantly, Seuss taught me how line quality and style can impress upon the viewer the tone of one's storytelling. His curved, whimsical lines help reinforce the sing-song atmosphere of his story in a beautiful marriage of words and pictures. It's what I try to do in my own work.

BW: Art is interpretive. What is this?



CM: A Muppet's Rump

(Chris and I were too busy to do a face to face interview, so he was gracious enough to answer my questions in written form. I'm glad he did. This afforded him the opportunity to fully realize the answer to this question. If you haven't clicked A Muppet's Rump, do so now!)

BW: Are your 15 minutes over yet?

CM: Yeah. I spent them filling out this questionnaire. Thanks a lot, jerk!



















Three Minute Interviews are an attempt to promote indie artists in their natural habitat: the comicbook convention. Hopefully this will not only entertain, but introduce you to creators that are not only currently working in comics but hold the key to the future of comics.

Fans are a vital part of the comicbook industry, just as customers are to the success of any retailer. Let the retailers know what you think. Artists thrive on feedback. We would rather you told us you didn't like or understand something than let us flourish in our ignorance. Also, it is of the utmost importance that you let comicbook publishers (including Marvel and DC) know what you are thinking. Convention promoters (like Wizard World) and distributors (such as Diamond) need to know if you cannot find the kind of comics you want to see in the comic book shops. Talk amongst yourselves! It's still a free country after all.


Check back next week when I interview author and artist TIMOTHY LANTZ!

Coming Soon...

Connie Persampieri

Christopher Herndon

and

Tod C. Parkhill





©2006 B. Wilkison, of course!
(Special thanks to Pren for the use of his Photobucket.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home